I've never wanted to destroy anything so tiny in all my life. On Friday I entered my classroom to discover four little dots at the top of my screen. When I looked closer, I realized they were spiders. The more I went through my day I kept seeing these spiders, feeling webs and jumping like a crazy woman when they would touch me. As I was explaining why I jumped to my 2nd period class and telling them that they were just little white spiders and I knew I didn't have to be afraid, a sweet girl raised her hand and told me that Black Widows start out as little white spiders. I hoped she was wrong. After all, she is in the general English class. Through the magic of Google, I confirmed she was right (I'll spare you a picture). Apparently, they can't bite though.
I almost had to call for a period sub, the terror was so great. I called to have them spray. They sprayed the floors all around my desk. Literally, the minute that 5th period ended, I had all of my stuff ready to go and I bolted. I couldn't escape the feeling of them all over me, in my hair or in my pockets.
The administrative secretary assured me they would spray my room again and do the ceilings since she thinks the custodial staff has been neglecting the ceilings. This is where I really mourn the loss of our best custodian "Sopy". He was so good that the district got him a two years ago. Nothing in my room has been as clean since.
Yesterday as I was pulling into the parking lot, I was literally thinking how lucky I was to have this great job where I get to influence so many young lives. I didn't mind that it was a Monday and I was back at work - until I put my key in the door of my room and remembered the spiders.
They were supposed to spray the entire room yesterday. Let's hope they did. Each day that goes by, they get bigger and have more of a chance to hide. Why did my kindergarten teacher have to terrify me so much when it came to Black Widows?
8 comments:
freak out!!!! eeeekkk and of course, i had to google baby black widow and now regret that decision.
Last year i had an ant infestation and it gave me the heeby jeebies.. after much complaining i realized nothing was going to get done so I let my fourth period gate students attack the colony with shoes & expo spray. I let the dead carcasses stand as a warning to future ant infestations.
yuck yuck yuck. I could tell mice stories...but I won't. At least mice won't bite...
On a completely unrelated note...did you finish The Mom Factor? I never got around to finding it. Could I borrow it if you're done?
Oh my goodness Eliza that is the worst thing EVER! I would have been crying! Then I would have voted to give that classroom to a new teacher and let me have a different one! =) I HATE BUGS! We have not put our backyard in yet so we have little lizzards ... yucko!
You are hilarious, I enjoy your blog because I know there will always be something crazy on here to lighten my day! Thanks for sharing the funnies! :)
Thankfully...today I saw no spiders!
i would have been completely traumatized too! and wow, that little girl sure was smart. i had no idea black widows started out white.
i no longer want to step into a classroom, work-place or my own bedroom after reading this. that is so scary!
Post a Comment