Lately I've been growing increasingly jealous of the moms I know that get to stay at home taking care of their families each day. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I'm going back to work in less than 24 hours. It's funny because, I know that I'm lucky that my job has so much time off and that I'm only teaching 4 classes instead of 5. I like my job a lot - well most days anyway. I know that if I weren't working there's no way we'd be saving so much for retirement or be able to put away any money for Micah's college tuition. I know that without my job we would be in the Kaiser system, possibly shifting from doctor to doctor until we finally found one we liked, only to have them leave Kaiser and us be stuck searching for a new doctor again. I know that without my job we would be so poor that we wouldn't ever be able to do anything fun (not to mention make the house payment). I know all these things and honestly, I usually don't mind working. Sometimes I even delude myself into thinking that even if I didn't have to work, I would still teach 2 classes just for the benefits and the fact that I like teaching.
I think my biggest problem is that I feel like I miss all the fun things that come with staying at home. There's the Women's Bible Study, MOPS, and all these other things out there that I don't get to do because I'm working. I literally think that stay at home moms get together with their mommy friends each day and do fun things. They build eachother up and let their kids play. They bond and make friendships and do the whole mommy thing together. These moms can leave guilt free to do something fun at night because they've spent all day with their children and by that time they need a break anyway. I feel so guilty even considering doing something without Micah during the work week since I barely get to see him and I feel like I'm already abusing my family by having them watch him during the day, so how could I possibly have them babysit him again at night? Do you know that Josh and I didn't even go out to celebrate our anniversary this year because I was unwilling to take another night away from Micah? I'm really struggling with whether or not we should join a small group this year because even though we could really benefit from it and would enjoy the fellowship, I just don't know if I want to give up another night away from my son.
It's such a fine line that working moms walk. I always remember Nancy Braden saying how kids are the most important thing God entrusts us with. They are our biggest responsibilities. It's hard for me to not always feel like I'm failing my son when I'm away from him so much.
10 comments:
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I too have the exact same guilt. I'm even worse in that I don't want to go to church some Sundays because I don't want to put Braden in the nursery for 1.5 hours. It's so hard. I hope that someday we can over come the guilt. I try to remind myself of all the same things as you, and on most days I feel good about working because I know I'm doing the very best I can (and I actually like working)... but other days (like tonight because it's Sunday and I have to go to work tomorrow) I get sad. Hang in there! We should start a working moms, play date time on Saturdays! I think it's important for us working mommies to lift each other up too. Anywho, just a thought. Oh... and on a side note, we had to go with Kaiser and I was super worried about it... but fortunately we love our pediatrician and the whole "Kaiser system" has been very good to us. (Crossing my fingers that continues). Have a great first day tomorrow!
Eliza... I feel the same way. I get so frustrated when people say, "Well, lets get together in the evening and just leave the babies at home with the daddy's..." because I DON'T want to just dump my kid at night! I want to be with him! Even though it means being miserable and sacraficing friendships (which just makes me depressed and lonely because I'm a big, fat, loner...), I'm not willing to give up that little time I do have at home with Sam! And I hate that I can't be in any sort of women's ministry or bible study... yes, I know they meet in the evening too, but again, I just had my kid in daycare for 8-9 hours, I certainly don't want to leave him for another 2-3!
I agree with Ang. We should get together like once a month on a Saturday or something for playtime. Because, you know, I hate leaving on Saturdays too... my only day with Sam and daddy because church and grocery shopping and grading papers and laundry pretty much wipes us out on Sundays! Ugh. I just keep thinking "Well... only like 10 more months until summer!!!" :)
We so should do a hang out time with the kiddos! It'd be so fun!
Liz - you sure captured the feelings of working moms! I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks for the exact same reasons you mentioned!
Eliza I totally know how you feel =) On top of that Ryan and I are both working full time and going to school full time. BUT you need time with just you and Josh also! It is so important! If you ever need a babysitter let me know! Peyton would love to play with him! We have family watching Peyton also, so we don't like to use them more than we have to I SO UNDERSTAND! As for small groups, Ryan and I are not able to do one because Peyton goes to bed at 7:30 every night. I think we should get a small group bible study together that meets on the weekends Ryan and I are going to VBF now, but we would still love to do a small group! I am sure there are a lot of other working parents that would benefit from a weekend small group.
Take me up on the babysitting though! You need date nights! It is so important!
I totally understand. I don't even want to stop at the store on my way home because I'm anxious to get home to see Hudson.
I would love to get together for our boys to play (and us to chat!). I would do Saturdays or even an afternoon (since I know you get done kinda early).
I hope you had a good first day! And I hope you have a good birthday and get to go out and do something fun!
In order not to repeat what everyone else has said...I'll just say that I totally agree.
i'm sure I will agree in time when I have kids.
to encourage you, I read a study that said (once children are in pre school) stay at home moms only spend one extra hour of quality time per week then working mommies.
i start back to work 2 weeks from today and am totally dreading it!! i wish i was in bako to hang out on the newly forming saturday working moms group!
Oh Liza, my heart goes out to you and all working moms...I did go back to work, very part time when my kids (David and Lorie) were 10 and 7 and I remember having that guilt as well!
Just know you are doing the best you know how and you will make it!!! carol grams!
Post a Comment