Friday, May 23, 2008

Raisin in the Sun


Child, when do you think is the time to love somebody the most? When he's done good and made things easy for everybody? That ain't the time at all. It's when he's at his lowest and he can't believe in himself because the world's whipped him so! When you starts measuring somebody measure him right, child. Measure him right. You make sure that you done taken into account the hills and the valleys he's come through to get to wherever he is.
~ Raisin in the Sun

This is one of my favorite quotes of all time. I just finished watching this movie with all of my classes and each time I have to fight back tears at this part. It probably means more if you know that Walter has just lost the family a substantial amount of money and is about to go against all his family stands for to get the money back. I love the reminder of really taking into account where someone is coming from. I need to do that more with my students.

1 comment:

Jana said...

WOW! That's an awesome quote!! I've never seen the movie . . but I just may have to watch it and quite possibly use that quote in one of our upcoming newsletters!!

I love you, friend!