Saturday, May 24, 2008
15 Minutes
Like everyone else, I want harmony and peace in my life. I want all of my different roles in life to go well together. I want to be doing a good job at work, and at home. Instead I often feel like if I'm doing well at home, then my job suffers and if I'm doing well at work, then my home suffers. And it's been that way since I got married. If the house was clean, presents were bought and wrapped and dinner on the table, then I was behind in my grades, and probably doing lesson planning in my head on my way to work. I've always hated that I can't seem to do both things well. Now that I'm a mom, it's just one more thing that I feel like I'm not doing well enough. Apparently all of this had been weighing down on me and I was being a little snippy to my precious husband. We finally talked about what was wrong with me and I told him that I feel like I'm failing at everything. Being a teacher, I used that analogy and I told him that I feel like I'm making C's and D's in all these areas and then I proceeded to list all of my responsibilities - there's a lot when I get down to listing them. From that we decided on a course of action to help me feel less house stress. Each nigh after Micah goes to bed we set the timer for at least 15 minutes and during that time, both of us clean the house. Usually one of us does dishes and the other picks up toys, does laundry or whatever else needs to be done. I love that it's a joint effort and that it's not just me fighting the clutter battle, but the best part is feeling like we're being proactive and working as a team instead of just putting things off. And now there's way less to do on Saturdays. Josh must laugh at me because I tell him each night how happy this little tradition makes me. I miss it when he's gone and I have to do it myself. There's nothing fun about cleaning all by myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
hmmmm...that's something that we might have to try. I'm not even working full time and I often feel overwhelmed by what a disaster my house is. And I hate the feeling of having to ask J to help me (even though he often does stuff w/o being asked). This would give you time that you both know you are responsible for working around the house, and yet it isn't such a long amount of time that you can't relax and watch TV, etc afterwards. Good idea!
You should try the produce this summer when you have time to cook and experiment...then if you like it maybe you can do it during the school year. I haven't noticed it being bitter. The fruit has all been really good and I guess the veggies have too...I'm not as big a fan of veggies in general but I'm making myself eat them!
Yes, I'm going back next year but only for 2 periods a day. I hope it is okay. I'm not sure I'm really looking forward to it, but there are "pros" so I'll give it a try!
YAY that this is working and you're feeling better about yourself and all you're doing!! :) :) I'm SO SO glad! I, too, through this idea out at D last night . . . we'll see how it goes ;)
Oh yeah, and I LOVE the new pic at the top of your blog, by the way! Keep forgetting to tell you :)
gee wiz...youre not boring. you are more fun than a box of rocks...and you know how i love me a good box o' rocks. why did you take that comment seriously...am i ever serious...its me...im never serious
Such a good idea. Fortunately, M has been pretty helpful with picking up toys and what not. But, maybe I should suggest the 15 minute deal for some toilet scrubbin' or laundry folding. :)
Who wants a Clean House?
Post a Comment