Whenever there’s a news story about a teenager in trouble, I always wonder if I knew that kid. Was that a former student of mine? Did they go to my school? Were they ever a junior high student of ours?
My first year of teaching, I had a student who was always in the deans office. He was really rude and very disrespectful. I remember talking to the dean’s secretary about him and she just shook her head and said, "He’s one you know isn’t going to make it." I knew she meant that he wouldn't graduate high school and would likely wind up in jail. Sure enough, a year later he turned up murdered. His family insists that he was a good kid and wasn’t involved in gang activity, but I that's not what I knew of him.
This summer, an elderly couple that attends my church was found murdered in their home. I didn’t know them, but the murder was very disturbing to our whole church and community. When they finally caught the suspects in November, we heard that they were teenagers and I immediately commented to Josh that I wondered if I knew them. They were slow to release the names - and to be honest, I've cut out a lot of local news from my life - but this morning I finally heard the suspect's names. One of the murderers was a student of mine just last year. I had very few problems with him. He mostly kept to himself and was always kind and respectful to me. Granted, he is the same student who attacked another student with a text book in my room, but when I ran into him at Food Maxx, he was polite and eager to tell me how he was improving. He wanted to tell me how he was doing at his new continuation school. He wanted me to meet his mentor who was with him.
I’m so sad. I thought this student was trying to change his life. I thought he was trying to do better. My heart breaks that he made such a devastating choice. I'm considering writing him a letter in jail to try to encourage him in some way, but what would I say? I've never known someone involved in such a heinous crime before.
6 comments:
That is devastating... and such an awkward position to be with. Someone I know was the former teacher of the "ringleader" of the boys who murdered the old man in the alley this summer. She said he was trouble then and wasn't surprised but was obviously still saddened when she learned what he did.
We try to steer these kids in the right direction... it is so sad when we hear that the path they chose to take wasn't the right path. I wonder if they ever know how much we truly care about them as their teachers??
Hang in there, I know you are making a difference with so many kids! I"m sorry this happened with one of your students :(
Eliza I think you should definitely write the student. So many of these children get nothing negative reinforcement most of their lives, they are just craving some positive reinforcement from someone. Encourage the child that he can turn his life around as soon as he makes that decision for himself. Let him know there are people that believe in him and care about him. You are a wonderful person to care about him Eliza, there is no doubt you HAVE made a difference in his life already!
i agree. write him! sometimes it takes them being imprisoned for people to hit rock bottom and realize that they need change. i saw it so many times when i was working in juvenile hall in bfield. i don't know if you remember the centennial kid that killed his mom 7 or so years ago (he lived in rosedale near jim mcconnell) . . anyway, our ministry had an opportunity to work w/ him in juvenile hall and jerry got to lead him to Christ! he used to send us letters all the time thanking YFC staff for the time and energy we put into those kids who otherwise felt forgotten by the world. and he started ministering to his peers in juvie. the other thing you may do is call jerry at the yfc office and let him know about this kid - i don't know if he, personally, is still doing youth guidance but there is a staff there who is . . . give them a heads up on him (if that's where he is) and a little about him, in case they run into him.
but, yes, write the letter. he knows you and obviously respected you, if he wanted you to meet his mom!! encourage him in Christ and let him know you care.
Wow, Liz. I can't imagine what you're feeling right now. I think my super smart sis is right, and you should write to him. And calling YFC sounds good, too.
I'm glad you've stuck it out at my old alma mater because I KNOW you've had a positive impact on a ton of kids. I don't think I could do it.
Thanks for all of your encouragement. I actually woke up super early and was writing the letter in my head, so I just got up and typed it. Now I've done that, but I'm not sure where to send it.
I'll think about making contact with YFC, but I'm pretty sure he's being held in the real jail. He's 17 and will be tried as an adult.
Yes, write him. I really believe that sometimes it just takes one person to believe in you. I know and have heard many stories how a teacher changed someone's life. I know that you are a caring person and are that kind of teacher. Bless you for being a good teacher. We need more of them.
Love, Leanne (Mrs. O) :-)
Post a Comment