Sunday, October 19, 2008

Religion and Politics

Last January, I received my civic education poster. Some of you may have heard about it when it was being called the "In God We Trust" poster. It was decided by the school board that every classroom, office and library must have this poster hanging on their walls.



It is so important to have hanging on the wall that when my poster was temporarily blocked by a door, someone at the school messily taped one on my back wall. So there it is on my wall, inspiring the next generation. Although each year I have my students do a journal about which poster in the room they like the best and why, none have chosen it yet. I'm not confident that it's really stimulating their young minds.

When it comes down to it, there are two things that infuriate me about these posters. One is the $12,000 cost. Granted, the district can afford it, but is that really the best use of money? Secondly, is it the best use of the board's time? I feel like there are so many bigger and more important issues facing high school students today.

I don't usually like to talk about politics - especially now. There has been so much mud slinging and twisting of the facts, that it literally drives me insane to listen to the news anymore. I think I know how I'll vote, but then I start to question it. I am, however, sure of how I will vote in the race for the local school board.

I'll be voting Hampton and Perry and I hope you might consider voting that way too.

I would prefer to have board members that put the best interest of the students first. I want members of the school board who don't waste time and money on frivolous posters. I'd prefer to have board members that don't get involved in other local politics, making threats. If you don't know what I'm refferring to, check out this article.

While I'm sure the front runner of the campaign has some good intentions, I think he has only served to reinforce the opinion that Christians are unloving and out for their own agenda. I'm sure that's not his intention, and I'll bet that the media has only helped make things worse, but damage has been done.

I've changed a lot over the last ten years. There was a time when I though that posters, shirts and bracelets that proclaimed belief in God were bringing people to the Lord - as if God needed advertising. I thought that I could argue people into believing what I wanted them to. Now, I really feel the best thing we can do is to love others the way Christ would love them - no matter who they are or what they believe. It's not our job as Christians to fight battles for God. He has control and allows laws to be passed and people to elected - whether or not I agree with it. The God I believe in is powerful. He allows things to happen for a reason; He could easily stop them, but He chooses not to. I have to respect that He has a plan for the upcoming election.

Now I know some of you who are reading this really like Chad Vegas. Please don't leave me comments trying to convince me that he is great and amazing. I know too much and I won't see it your way. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

5 comments:

Alisa Marie said...

eliza, Thanks for being to informative. I agree with your thought process completely. I knew who i DIDN"T want to vote for, now I have an Idea of who TO vote for.

Eliza said...

I'm glad I helped! I want to unite people like you who know what they don't want, but aren't sure who they vote for.

Amy said...

I TOTALLY agree. And I appreciate that you were able to express yourself clearly and fairly. I'm not sure I could be as diplomatic. I have rather strong feelings about this subject. Can I link this post from my blog?

Mommy Diffee said...

GREAT post Eliza! I absolutely agree with you on SO MUCH that you said. And it is so true that we do not need posters and t-shirts to "promote" God. Ryan and I just started researching who to vote for in the school board part, so thanks for the info! That is always a hard one for those of us that do not work or have children in the school system yet. Thanks for the help! =) AND I am glad we have such passionate teachers like you out there =)

Andrea said...

this is totally random and not even related to your last post, but I HAD to tell you that I L-O-V-E-D Micah's stinkin' monkey costume at church... I think he should wear it everyday until Halloween- ok, sorry, just had to throw that out there. Now I will go read your post :)