Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Sweet Smell of Freedom

I loathe the smell of rotting, old garbage cans. I hated when I'd have to walk home from school on trash day. The stench would pierce my nose and make me feel sick. I'm wondering if this year will change that.

When I finish my last class each day, another class with another teacher invades my room. I'm pretty much forced to leave my room, whether I'm done with work or not. This is turning out to be a good thing.

Since our schools are more like cages now, I either have to unlock gates to leave or go through the main office. Unlocking those huge gates is a big pain. I started refusing to do it a few years back and instead would walk around the entire school if it meant not unlocking gates. I don't want to go through the main office because then they might question why I'm leaving during my assigned preparation period, so that leaves secret option number three - the cafeteria. I learned this little trick from a former co-worker. If I go through the cafeteria, it will dump me out in one of the staff parking lots, far away from the administration building, but close enough to my classroom. Everyday, to get home to my precious boy, I get to go by 6 dumpsters.

I'm starting to think that I may start to like the smell of rotting trash.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I too, refuse to open the gates. Luckily I don't have to worry about going through the office because I would HATE the trash smell too.

I hope things are going well now that you're settling in a bit!

Josh Pearsey said...

Is this a hint to take out the trash more often?

Alisa Marie said...

i like the way you think.

Mommy Diffee said...

You are too funny! You just have to plug your nose and make a mad dash =) But it is super cool you get to go home early right?! I am envious. I get off work at 6 pm =( It sucks! We need to find a way to make money without working ... I will let you know when I figure that out =)