Sunday, August 24, 2008

Stirrings

This summer my mom, sister, and I all did a Beth Moore Bible Study together. It was amazing and I loved how much I learned and grew. Now that it's fall, I have to decide whether or not I want to get involved in small groups at church. In previous years, the conversation went like this:

Me: "Do you want to do a small group this year?"
Josh: "Sure. If you want too..."
Me: "Okay, let's look at the list"
Josh: "Okay, I'll bring one home from work"
Me: "What do you want for dinner?"

And then that was it. We never decided to do one or not to do one. It was a decision made by not making a decision. And that's how it's been for the last 4 years.

This year is different. I really want to grow with other believers this year. I want a time where I'm learning, instead of teaching. I've really missed that. Since I don't want to take away any time from my son, and we can't really find a group to join, we're not going to do a couples study. Instead, I've decided that I'm going to do the Early Risers Women's Bible Study. They meet once a week at 6:00 am. I'm hoping that I'll be dedicated enough to get up and get there each Thursday. I have to say it was hard for me to sign up. I looked at the list of ladies and I really don't know them all that well; the ones that I do know are more my mom's friends. I worry that they'll feel like I'm intruding on their special early morning group. I'm scared that they won't accept me. But I also know that this is something that God has put on my heart to do. I'm tired of feeling like I don't really know anyone outside of the junior high and high school department. I'm tired of making excuses for why I don't do Women's Bible Study - especially when I really don't have any good reason for not trying it. So this year I'm stepping out on faith and making a change.

I'm nervous.

I'm excited.

11 comments:

Alisa Marie said...

I took a leap of faith too! Thats what Tad and I have been doing for the past 3 years. We were in a couples bible study. but I just wanted to hang out with girls.

I really miss that. So i did it. I signed up for wednesday night bible study, I didn't look at the list, I wanted a challenge. I just made sure it was the right time, and I flipped to an opening and signed. YEAH FOR LEAPS OF FAITH!

(i would have done early riser... but i remembered that i'm not an early riser.)

Josh Pearsey said...

What ARE we going to have for dinner?

Mommy Diffee said...

I am so proud of you Eliza! I told myself like 3 years in a row that I was going to do the early morning bible study, but when it came to signing up ... I knew there was no way I could get up that early! Keep us all posted on how it goes!!
Oh and I changed your name to "Josh and Eliza" is that OK? I did not think about the google search thing! Sorry!
Oh and how is school?! Did you get a good class this year? What grade are you teaching?

The Hartnett Family said...

Yay for Beth Moore!! She is great. I actualy attend her biblestudies that she holds here in Houston, they are all recorded. She does one in the fall and one in the spring...excited for it to start again!!

Yay for you!!

Amy said...

good for you!! i hope you reap many blessings through it this year!

Anonymous said...

i'm so proud of you

Rach said...

Liza,
I read your previous post and just hadn't come up with the right way to articulate it. But, I wanted to tell you to go for it. I wanted to say that you deserve and need that time for yourself. But, then, I thought about the other side of it and could totally understand how you would feel torn about leaving Micah to do so. Anyways, I am super happy for you that you found a situation that works for you. And, I can tell you right now... My mom (yes, your mom's friend) does the Early Risers Bible studies and she (and the other ladies) love the input and perspective and presence of the "younger gals". I don't know if you will end up in my mom's group or not, but I know she would love it if you were. I'm glad you are taking the leap of faith!

bandofbrothers said...

Hey, so proud of you for doing a 6 am study. YOU PUT ME TO SHAME. I'm so pathetic in the mornings. And I'm sure they will all love you! It's hard though, breaking into any new situation. But it always makes me more aware of being friendly to newcomers to my church, because I remember how it feels. Good for you!

Rach said...

Liza,
My mom read your blog and asked me to post this for her, since you don't allow anonymous comments:
Liza...I will not be doing an Early Risers group this year. I have moved to a 5:15p.m. group for women after work, but early. You will love the Thursday Early Risers. They are very sweet woman and fun, too. We older, (mom age) woman LOVE the younger women to be a part of our group as they give a fresh perspective to everyone else. Good for you! I'm so glad that you are going for it. Just remember it's not the women in the group but the obedience you display to God to gather together and study His word. I'm not a morning person particularly, but I never had trouble getting up for our group because I loved being with the group. They were so special and it sure did start out my day new and fresh and alive! I will pray for your heart to be stirred as you study His Word with others. Rach's mom PS-I would love to have you in my group if I was still doing an Early Riser group.

Unknown said...

Liza,
I would love to have you in my group. You are a special young lady and you are falling God's leading. Older women just love the younger ones. It helps us to remember the times we had when our families were growing up. You will not regret it at all. It will help you be a better mother and wife. I love you.
Leanne

Bethany said...

I'm sooooooooo proud of you, sis!!!