About 4 months ago, I learned that the Advent bottles that I thought were so "cute" were made with the hard plastic (labeled 7 on the bottom) that can leach a chemical called BPA into the milk. I looked on their website and they assured me that many studies show it's safe and it's only dangerous if you heat it with boiling water...blah blah blah. They have to take that stance - since they don't want people to stop buying their product.
I continued to use them thinking, I don't overheat the bottle so it's fine. A week or so later, one of the bottles got melted while it was being heated up. That was my wake up call. Including Josh and me, Micah has 5 regular care givers each week (and that doesn't count church nursery time). I couldn't be sure that each time the bottle his milk was in wasn't being heated too hot, so I drove to Babies R Us and bought a $10 Born Free Glass bottle. A lot of people gave me grief about it. I tried to explain about the chemicals and they would just stare at me asking what if the glass bottle breaks. I stuck to my guns though, and my little family all liked our glass bottle. It didn't leak at all, I knew it was safe, and I liked the shape of it.
Imagine my joy this week when the today show did a segment on plastic drinking bottles. Turns out I was ahead of the curve for my son's drinking habits, but not for my husbands or mine. Turns out those Nalgene bottles I've been drinking out of for 6 years are a big no no. For the last 3 days at work I've had to drink out of a plastic disposable water bottle. If you know me, I drink a ton of water, so it's not wise for me to use those disposable water bottles everyday. Today, I ordered two new water bottles from Klean Kanteen. They don't leach any chemicals into my water and they are reusable.
If you want to know more about plastics and food safety, go to the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (www.iatp.org) . They have a very easy to read guide about plastics. That way you can decide for yourself what you and your family eat and drink out of. I can tell you that my family will be using a lot more glass.
8 comments:
Did you know that BornFree is now making safe plastic bottles too? I saw them the other day and thought of you. :) My next baby is totally going to be using BornFree products.
Okay, so, when I was in college the Nalgene bottles were 'super hip' because they were supposedly NOT leaking toxins into my water, but my delicious aquafina and Costco water bottles were apparently poisening me. Now it is the other way around!? Ay ay ay.
I use the ones with the drop-in liners... they heat up his milk in the little plastic bag I freeze it in, and then they dump it into the drop=in. Did the Today show say anything about those?!?! I figured they were safer since you dispose of them each time you use them, and use a fresh one every time. hmmm...
Okay, and to make a link... type in whatever you want to link to, lets say "bottles." so just type that word. Then highlight the word you want a link connected to, and then with it highlighted, hit the button that looks like a world with a paper clip on it. Then a little window will pop up, and you can cut and paste the address you want to be linking to your word into a little box then hit okay. then when you publish your post, it should be highlighted, so anyone who wants to go to a link will just push their mouse on the highlighted word... make sense?
No Christie they didn't say anything about the drop in liners. :) But you may still want to check out that link on plastics. And thanks for the help with the link. I wasn't highlighting.
I love your blog...I didn't know you had one! I'm glad you are using bpa free bottles, even if others don't agree...you gotta do what is best!
and everyone thought i was a "crazy sf liberal" because i registered for and insisted on glass bottles...i hear you girl!
Amy I never thought you were crazy! I feel like you can't be too careful when it comes to your baby. Now you won't get to month 5 of the baby book and freak out about all the toxins you've been polluting your baby with unknowingly.
I'm proud of you for sticking to your guns. It sucks when people around call you crazy or think its silly and you believe in it anyway.
Rock on sister. :)
Post a Comment