Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Babywise



Generally speaking, I've been blessed with an easy baby. Micah slept through the night at 2 and 1/2 months. Thus, I never bothered to schedule him or bother myself with what parenting strategy I should use. Should I Ferberize him or use some other method?

How I wish I could go back in time. I know that I still have a pretty easy baby. He's pretty mellow. But I'm lost and confused! I can't figure out why he's waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning and then again at 6. I'm not sure what times of the day to do the rice cereal and when and how long he should nap. All because for the last six months I just let him do whatever he felt he wanted to because it was working. How I wish I could go back in time.

I'm going to try to get him on PDF (parent directed feeding) ala Babywise. But as I start this task I feel like a failure already. I know that it's going to be so hard to switch him when I don't get to spend all my time with him during the day. I have to rely on my family members to help me with it. How is he going to react to going from cycles of eat, sleep, play, to sleep, eat play? Can I get my husband to join in and really do this with me? I hope so.

4 comments:

Sally said...

ok, you're starting to freak me out a little bit. i didn't know i was supposed to choose a parenting strategy...and none of what you said makes any sense to me (babywise, etc). Tell me what to do!!

Eliza said...

You're so funny Sally! I'll send you an email on Myspace or something.

Olive Oyl said...

I would have never known about Babyswise if it wasn't for my sisters-in-law. All I knew was I liked how their babies acted, and I wanted my kid to act like that! :) Hang in there! I feel the same way about scheduling because I'm not with Sam during the day... it is hard to do if not everyone is on board. And I've found it isn't hubby you have to encourage to go along with the plan... it is push-over grandma. :)

Carrie said...

Okay, I am a total stranger about to post on your blog, kinda of embarrassing. But I'm Carrie one of Jana's friends from Tuscaloosa. My son Noah is two days older than Micah Hillen. Anyway, we started Babywise two weeks before I went back to work because there was no way I could teach with three hours of sleep! It was a hard hard week. You feel like you will break his little heart but it was so worth it. With family's support and many many prayers Noah took to it and he sleeps ten to eleven hours a night now. It was the best decision we made for him so far. So hang in there!